About the AEF
The Australian Environment Foundation (AEF) is a non-profit, membership-based organisation that seeks to protect the environment, while preserving the rule of law, property rights, and the freedom of the individual. We take an evidence-based, solution-focused approach to environmental issues.
While it may be true that "We are all environmentalists now", the great majority of Australians have little or no say in the environmental policies being put to governments – federal, state or local. These policies are almost exclusively the domain of a tight network of conservation groups ensuring one view, and one view only, is put forward.
The AEF is a different kind of environment group, caring for both Australia & Australians.
Our members value:
- Evidence - policies are set and decisions are made on the basis of facts, evidence and scientific analysis.
- Choice - issues are prioritized on the basis of accurate risk assessment and cost-benefit analysis.
- Technology - appropriate and innovative technological solutions are implemented.
- Management - active management is used when necessary, acknowledging that landscapes and ecosystems are dynamic.
- Diversity - biological diversity is maintained.
- People - people are an integral part of the environment.
Accordingly, the AEF embraces the IUCN (World Conservation Union) sustainable use principles stated below, as providing an ethical balanced framework for many environmental challenges.
1. Conservation of biological diversity is central to the mission of IUCN, and accordingly IUCN recommends that decisions of whether to use, or not to use, wild living resources should be consistent with this aim.
2. Both consumptive and non-consumptive use of biological diversity are fundamental to the economies, cultures, and well-being of all nations and peoples.
3. Use, if sustainable, can serve human needs on an ongoing basis while contributing to the conservation of biological diversity.
Many of the members of the Australian Environment Foundation are practical environmentalists – people who actively use and also care for the environment – appreciating that protection and sustainable resource use are generally compatible in providing balanced environmental outcomes.
If you want to be a part of a national movement that places a premium on sound science and rigorous evidence, that values honest debate and discussion, and that is rethinking what it means to be an environmentalist, then consider joining the AEF.
As the Australian Environment Fund is a Deductible Gift Recipient fund, donations of $2 or more are tax deductible.
Cheques should be made payable to the Australian Environment Fund and sent to:
Australian Environment Fund
PO Box 185
Canterbury VIC 3126
Alternatively payment may be made via an electronic transfer to the Fund's account at the ANZ Bank. To do so please use the following account details:
Account Name: Australian Environment Fund
BSB: 013 308
Account No: 497 800 846